Below are responses to FAQ. Please contact us at email@example.com for any other questions not addressed below.
- What is Seateroo and what will it do? Seateroo is an app providing a marketplace where airline passengers can swap seats. Seateroo users can review current market orders, connect, negotiate prices, and exchange electronic payment.
- Is Seateroo affiliated with any airline? No, Seateroo is not currently affiliated with any airline. However, since launching our app, Seateroo has held numerous discussions with a number of major airlines related to a white label product that would enable airlines to offer their own airline-branded seat swap markets. Based upon the feedback received, Seateroo is actively working on the development of a white label product that would offer enhanced functionality and integration with relevant airline systems. Stay tuned!
- Does a transaction through Seateroo change a passenger’s ticket information with the airline? No, your travel itinerary, ticket, and boarding pass are not changed.
- Does Seateroo allow users to sell airline tickets or boarding passes? No, Seateroo is to only be used for seat swaps between ticketed passengers. Passengers must not transfer tickets or boarding passes.
Airline Rules and Regulations
- Are airline tickets or boarding passes transferable? No, airline tickets and boarding passes are not transferable. A passenger must board the plane with the ticket or boarding pass issued to him or her by the airline.
- What about the flight manifest? Regulations require that each airline maintain a record of who boards a flight, but does not require that a passenger sit in a particular seat. Otherwise, Southwest Airlines could not offer unassigned seating.
- Are there any regulations that disallow seat swaps? No, there are no government rules that prohibit seat swaps.
- Do airlines allow seat swaps between passengers sitting in the same seat class? Yes, airlines allow seat swaps between passengers sitting in the same class, such as economy, business, or first class.
- Do airlines allow seat swaps between passengers sitting in different seat classes? Some airlines prohibit seat swaps between economy and premium seat classes (i.e., business or first class) if there are available premium seats for purchase. In addition, after take-off, some flight attendants may discourage seat swaps between economy and first class for fear of disturbing first class passengers.
- Can flight attendants choose to restrict or limit seat swaps? Yes, flight attendants can choose to restrict or limit seat swaps. Passengers should always obey the instructions of flight attendants. However, seat swaps among passengers occur frequently.
- What about swapping for an exit row seat? Due to eligibility restrictions for exit rows, passengers should not attempt to swap for an exit row seat unless given permission to do so by a flight attendant.
About Seat Swaps
- Can users flying on different flights swap seats? No, only passengers traveling on the same flight may swap seats.
- Can passengers exchange tickets or boarding passes? No, airlines prohibit passengers from presenting the ticket or boarding pass of another passenger.
- Will Seateroo set the price for seat swaps? No, Seateroo users will determine prices.
- Can seat swaps be agreed to before my flight? Yes, although Seateroo users must still board the flight with the ticket or boarding pass issued by the airline.
- When can Seateroo users swap seats? After boarding, either before or after take-off.
- If I agree to a seat swap, then when can I sit in my “swapped for” seat? If agreed to prior to boarding, then you can sit in your “swapped for” seat upon boarding. Otherwise, you may swap seats when you are permitted by flight crew to move about the cabin, which may include before the cabin doors are closed or after take-off.
- What if the flight has a stop at another airport before my final destination? Seat assignments may change for the second leg of the flight, which may require you to return to the seat assigned by the airline after landing.
- What about my carry-on baggage? For swaps agreed to post-boarding, then it may or may not be possible for you to relocate your baggage from the overhead bins to a location closer to your “swapped for” seat.
- If I am traveling with someone else, may I post multiple seats to Seateroo for swap transactions? No, a Seateroo user may currently only swap his or her seat. Your travel partner would need to separately use Seateroo to swap his or her seat for another.
- May I simultaneously post a seat swap as a buyer and as a seller for the same flight? No.
- Do you have any data on passenger attitudes towards seat swapping (e.g., willingness to swap under various situations, how much they’d either pay or require to be paid, etc.)? Yes, we do. In November 2015, we hired SurveyMonkey to conduct an independent survey of airline passengers about various aspects of airline seat swaps. You can read a summary of the survey results here.
- Does Seateroo work on airlines without assigned seating, such as Southwest? Yes. Due to the lack of assigned seating, a passenger does not know his/her seat location until boarding the plane. Seateroo users may enter an order to buy or sell a seat swap prior to boarding. Once a Seateroo user knows his/her seat location, the user can complete a swap transaction as a seller. After the buyer takes the “swapped for” seat, the seller may sit in any available seat. (NOTE: This functionality is being refined before being included in a future release of the Seateroo app.)
- Who may use the Seateroo app? In the current release of the Seateroo app, the credit card account used for payment and bank account used to receive payment must be tied to a U.S. address. We will be monitoring interest in the Seateroo app outside of the U.S. and make future updates to accommodate users with accounts registered in other countries. Based outside of the U.S.? Let us know that you are interested in using Seateroo!
- What happens if I enter a seat swap buy or sell order on Seateroo but I am unable to swap my seat? Your order will be eliminated after the market for your flight closes. There is nothing that you need to do.
Market Open and Close Timing
- When will the market open for my flight? For non-Southwest flights, the market for your flight will open 5 days prior to your departure date. For Southwest flights, due to the lack of assigned seating, the market for your flight will open 1 day before your flight departure date.
- Why were those market dates chosen? For non-Southwest flights, the timing was dictated in part by the number of days we can “hold” electronic payments (7 days maximum). For Southwest flights, the timing corresponds with the timing for boarding groups being assigned by Southwest Airlines, which is 24 hours prior to the scheduled flight time.
- When will the market close for my flight? The market will close after the flight ends.
- When I post an order to buy or sell a seat swap on Seateroo, then will other users see my name or picture. No, only the initials for your first name and last name will be shown. For example, John Smith will be shown as J.S. on Seateroo.
- When can another Seateroo see my name or picture? After you agree to a seat swap, then the other user who you are swapping seats with will see your first name, last initial, and the picture from your user profile.
Price and Fees
- Does Seateroo set the price for seat swaps? No, Seateroo users will determine the price for seat swaps. A Seateroo survey provided air traveler feedback on potential price requirements to swap seats.
- Is there a minimum price required by a user to pay on Seateroo to swap seats? Yes, the minimum price is $5.
- Will Seateroo be free to download? Yes, Seateroo is free to download.
- Will Seateroo be free to use? Yes Seateroo is free to use.
- What is Seateroo’s fee and how is it calculated? Seateroo charges a 15% service fee that is calculated as a percentage of the negotiated price to swap seats. For example, if the negotiated price is $10, then Seateroo’s service fee is $1.50.
- Who pays Seateroo’s service fee? Seateroo’s service fee is deducted from the seller’s proceeds from swapping a seat in return for payment. For example, if the negotiated price is $10, then the seller’s net proceeds would be $8.50.
- If I complete a seat swap using Seateroo, then is there a service fee? Yes, a service fee is applicable for seat swaps completed using Seateroo. The price paid by the buyer to the seller will be reduced by a service fee.
- When must a buyer enter payment account details? Prior to finalizing a seat swap transaction, a seat swap buyer must enter payment account details. Currently, Seateroo is only accepting credit card payments. Additional methods of payment, such as Apple Pay, are also being considered for future releases.
- When must a seller enter account details to receive payment? A seller has 30 days after the date of the flight to enter his or her bank account details with Seateroo. After 30 days, the seller’s proceeds will be paid to a charity of Seateroo’s choice. Additional methods of receiving payment, such as PayPal, are also being considered for future releases.
- When are funds from a buyer transferred to a seller? Funds are available for disbursement to a seller 72 hours after the transaction. When available for disbursement, a seller can enter his/her account details in the Seateroo app to receive electronic payment.
Refunds, Canceled Flights, Etc.
- Will Seateroo provide refunds to buyers for failed transactions? Yes, Seateroo will provide refunds to buyers if a seller refuses to swap seats, your flight is canceled, or a flight attendant will not permit the seat swap. Refund requests must be received no later than 12:00 pm PST the day after your scheduled flight.
- Should I complain to the airline or other Seateroo user about a failed seat swap? No, please contact Seateroo about any failed transaction. In addition, you may rate the other user on Seateroo based upon a failure to swap seats.
- How do I contact Seateroo for a refund or any other concern? Contact Seateroo support as soon as possible with your name, airline, flight number, departure date, and the problem with your transaction.
- What if I miss my flight? If you miss your flight, then no refund will be provided to a buyer of a seat swap.
- What if I need to cancel a transaction on Seateroo? You may cancel a transaction 1 day before your departure date. Please contact Seateroo support with your name, airline, flight number, and departure date.